Five myths about Muslims in America (Washington Post)
by Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf
People believe that American Muslims:
1. are foreigners.
2. are monolithic (the same ethnicly, culturally, and politically).
3. oppress women.
4. often become ‘homegrown’ terrorists.
5. want to bring shariah law to the United States.
The facts to dispel the myths:
- According to a 2009 study by Gallup, Muslim American women are not only more educated than Muslim women in Western Europe, but are also more educated than the average American.
- According to the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security, more non-Muslims than Muslims were involved in terrorist plots on U.S. soil in 2010.
- Islam was in America even before there was a United States. But Muslims didn’t peaceably emigrate — slave-traders brought them here.
- Sixty-six percent of American Muslim households earn more than $50,000 per year — more than the average U.S. household
“Muslims want to impose Shariah laws in America? Similar to Jewish Halacha, Shariah laws are a religious code of conduct (pertaining to marriage, inheritance, etc.) for Muslims only; they cannot be imposed on non-Muslims. Divinely inspired, Shariah is also a covenant, an Islamic Magna Carta, between the Islamic rulers and the ruled.”